Chris Grove
"Nibble Me This"

Chris Grove is the resident pitmaster of the grilling and BBQ blog Nibble Me This and is the author of the book The "Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook" (Ulysses Press). Chris discovered his love of BBQ as a young child tasting authentic slow smoked pork shoulder on his grandparents' farm in North Carolina and has followed that passion ever since. That journey has led to competing in and judging BBQ competitions from small local events to world championship events like Memphis in May. His recipes and photographs have also been featured by many national media outlets. But his favorite BBQ experiences are those at home on his back deck, creating new grilling and BBQ recipes for his friends and family. The barbecue crowd is a true family and I am lucky enough to have stumbled into this bunch of great people who have helped me along the way. I just hope that I can pay back the BBQ karma by helping others on their own BBQ journey.

Chris Grove's posts

Spicy Honey Maple Glazed Spiral Sliced Ham

Spiral sliced hams are one of the easiest things to smoke because all of the hard work has already been done for you.  The smokehouse has already trimmed, cured, and smoked the ham.  It’s fully cooked, all you are doing is reheating it and adding a special touch or two.  This recipe works with a Read More »

Maple Bourbon Glazed Pork Chops with Sweet Potato Mash

Bourbon and BBQ go hand in hand. Bourbon and BBQ are both deeply entrenched in and arise from Southern culture. They are flavor partners and share many common flavor affinities. But what I really think pairs them together is the smokiness. The subtle smokiness of bourbon comes from being aged in charred oak casks and it perfectly Read More »

Tailgating Hero – Chili Sauce for Hot Dogs, Burgers, and Nachos

Chili sauce is what I call a tailgating hero.  Tailgating heroes are foods that are multipurpose and can be prepared ahead of time.  Just like the hero of a sports team makes his teammates better players, a tailgating hero makes every food it goes on just a little better.  Chili sauce fits role perfectly. Which is Read More »

Tailgating Recipe – Brown Sugar and Beer Brined Wings

I don’t think that there is a better food for tailgating than wings.  First, wings are one of the first foods that I think of when tailgating comes up.  Second, they are flexible in terms of flavor profiles, you can take them in about any direction that you want to go.  Third, wings are easy Read More »

How To Grill Brats and Brat-jitas

In August of each year, thousands of people who love bratwursts descend upon Sheboygan, Wisconsin for the Brat Days festival. It celebrates the popular sausage with a huge weekend of brats, music, a brat eating competition, and fun. You can get a single brat, a double, or an Oostburger (a split brat on top of Read More »

Cajun Pork Tenderloin Sliders with Spicy Slaw

I am a big fan of pork tenderloins on the grill. They are relatively inexpensive, lean, easy to cook, and they can go with just about any flavor profile. You can cook them whole as small roasts. You can cut them into strips for things like stir fry or fajitas. They are excellent cut into filet, just Read More »

The Kentucky Hot Brown Open Faced Burger

One of my top 5 favorite sandwiches is the Kentucky Hot Brown. This storied sandwich was created at the elegant Brown Hotel in Louisville in the 1920’s as a way to feed the crowds after ballroom dances. It is a decadent open faced sandwich of toasted bread, sliced turkey, bacon, tomato, and cheesy mornay sauce Read More »

Step by Step (with pictures) Smoked Beef Brisket Recipe

The first smoked beef brisket I ever tasted was from a 6-time World Champion.  The second brisket I ever had was my first attempt at smoking one.  You can imagine there was a bit of a drop off in quality.  But with practice, I’ve gotten pretty good at smoking brisket and it’s actually my strongest category at BBQ Read More »