Did I mention that this recipe involves that sweet, smoky taste of cooking on a gas grill?
Thanksgiving is all turkey all the time, but Christmas and New Year’s Day are all about the beef. Prime rib and beef tenderloin are mainstays for the Grillin’ Fools at the end of the year. And we always grill the beef because we are the Grillin’ Fools.
Depending on where you live, the thought of grilling in late December may not be on your radar. But it can be done in about an hour on your Char-Broil® TRU-Infrared™. And you only have to be outside for a bit. Light the grill and go inside while it warms up. Put the meat on the grill and go back inside. Sear the meat, remove it from the grill and serve. Even if it’s brutally cold, you’ll warm up by the grill for the handful of times you’re standing in front of it. And by doing the entree on the grill, it frees up your oven for sides and pies. Yes, indeed! It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
This slice was for me. I prefer my beef walked near the grill, the hooves and horns knocked off, and then plated. If I have to stab my beef to kill it on the plate, I’m good with that. That’s why I have a knife!
- 1 4-pound beef tenderloin, trimmed
- Coarse salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Granulated garlic
- Dried rosemary
- Grape seed oil
- Coat the beef tenderloin with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary.
- Drizzle grape seed oil over the entire cut and massage into the meat.
- Soak the oak plank in water for 30-60 minutes.
- Prepare the grill for medium high heat.
- Place the plank on the hot grill for 3-4 minutes. Flip the plank over and place the beef tenderloin on the plank.
- At about the 60-minute mark the internal temperature will be around 110-120°F.
- Remove the tenderloin from the plank and sear the bottom of the tenderloin. Remove from the heat and rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
A digital thermometer will help you determine when the tenderloin is done to your taste - 135 degrees for rare after resting, 145 degrees for medium rare after resting and 150 degrees for medium after resting.