There are few dishes more American than steak and potatoes. It’s the classic home-cooked meal to satisfy a hungry family. This Black and Blue Steak and Potato Salad is a different twist on this classic combination. It’s a great party entrée because it can be served warm or at room temperature, which gives our party planners lots of flexibility.
Let’s get started by preheating your grill, we used the Char-Broil® TRU-Infrared™ 4-burner Performance Grill, to medium high. This is sure to be your new favorite option for a backyard party or easy weeknight supper.
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- Spray oil
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup minced green onions
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 pound skirt steak, room temperature
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium high.
- Cut the potatoes in half (or larger ones in approximately 2-inch pieces.)
- Tear off a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and oil the bottom with spray oil.
- Put the potatoes on the foil and seal it tightly into a packet.
- Put the packet on the upper shelf of the grill, close the lid and grill for approximately 40 minutes or until potatoes are soft when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and add the white wine and chicken stock.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the potatoes steam for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a vinaigrette by combining the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the olive oil one tablespoon at a time until an emulsion forms.
- Add the green onions, blue cheese crumbles, oregano and basil.
- Combine thoroughly and add to the potatoes.
- Salt and pepper the skirt steak liberally.
- Grill the skirt steak for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Flip and continue to grill until the steak is medium rare (130°F internal temperature as measured with a digital meat thermometer).
- Rest the steak for 10 minutes under a loose aluminum foil tent.
- Slice steak thinly against the grain.
- Top the potatoes with the steak slices and serve.