The holidays are here and soon turkeys, hams, and rib roasts will be adorning tables across the country. Those are classic holiday meals, tried and true. However, if you are like me, sometimes you have the itch to shake things up a bit.
Roasting a whole beef shank is a fun way to take the holiday meal in a different direction. It creates a stunning impression when your dinner guests see you carrying this hunk of meat in on a gargantuan bone. The meat is similar to brisket or beef short ribs – tender and luscious. The flavor is unique from those two, the taste of beef shank has an edginess that I like.
This is a beef shank that we made Thanksgiving weekend when we were busy with holiday decorating. That’s the great thing about this recipe, I used the Char-Broil® Big Easy® Oil-less Turkey Fryer. After prepping the roast and dropping it in the Big Easy®, I could ignore it for 8 hours while I went about trying to figure out why the Christmas tree has lights out on one side.
Power braised in the Big Easy®, this whole beef shank is simple, but rich in flavor, and is welcome comfort food on any holiday table.
- 8-10 pound beef shank
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- ¼ cup coarse grain mustard
- 3 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 3/4 cup stock
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Two 18” x 36” pieces aluminum foil
- 8” pie pan
- Preheat the Big Easy® Oil-Less Turkey Fryer to medium heat.
- Prepare the beef shank. Trim off the fat cap and silverskin. Use a meat syringe to inject the beef broth into the muscles.
- Season the beef. Slather the coarse grain mustard all over the beef. Mix the rub ingredients together and season the beef on all sides.
- Wrap the beef. Place the two pieces of foil on a table forming an “x” and place the 8” pie pan in the center of it. Mix together the braising liquid and add 1 cup to the pan. Place the beef shank upright with the fatter end down in the pan. Pull up the foil and tightly seal around the shank. Place this into the Big Easy® basket, taking care not to tear the foil. You need to keep the liquid in the pack for it to braise.
- Place the basket into the Big Easy® and cook at medium (300-325f target) for 4 hours.
- Remove the basket, carefully pull the foil back and pour the remaining cup of braising liquid so it runs down the leg into pie pan. Seal back up and cook until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 195°f, about a total cook time of 8 hours
- Carefully remove the roast from the foil, reserving the liquid. Place the roast back in the Big Easy® for 10-15 minutes to crisp the outer crust.
- Pour the liquid into a grease separator. Strain off the jus (leaving the grease in the separator) and taste for seasoning, adjusting with salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove the roast from the Big Easy® and let rest for 10 minutes. Use two large forks to shred the meat.
- We like to serve the shredded beef on mashed potatoes or stone ground grits and topped with the beef jus.
A beef shank of this size will serve about 8 people but don’t worry if you have a smaller crowd. This beef rocks for leftovers. It’s amazing on sliders, in tacos, or stuffed into a loaded baked potato. The Big Easy® lived up to its name in that it was easy, but it is way more than just a turkey fryer!