Looking for a weeknight recipe that comes together fast but delivers a burst of spicy flavor? The secret is chipotles in adobo.
Chipotle-glazed chicken takes just 20 minutes to prepare. Chipotles in adobo are smoked jalapeno peppers in a sauce containing spices and vinegar. Adobo simply means “sauce” in Spanish. Chipotles in adobo can be found in the Mexican section of the grocery store’s international food aisle. One chipotle in adobo goes a long way – they are very spicy. Divide the rest of the can into plastic bags and freeze for later use.
The glaze, which combines the chipotles in adobo with honey and a few other spices, would be equally delicious on pork tenderloin or pork chops.
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat the grill to medium high.
- Combine the minced chipotle, honey, mustard, ½ tablespoon chipotle chile powder and 1 tablespoon of oil in a small bowl. Mix thoroughly and reserve.
- Whisk together the remaining chipotle chile powder with the cumin, coriander, paprika and the remaining tablespoon of oil in a medium bowl. Salt and pepper the chicken and add it to the spices, tossing the breasts to coat them.
- Grill the chicken, lid closed, for 3-4 minutes and then flip. Brush the chipotle sauce on each piece. Continue grilling another 3-4 minutes or until a digital thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breasts reaches 160°F. Flip the chicken and brush the other sides with the chipotle sauce. Let grill an additional minute with the lid up. Plate and serve. Use any remaining chipotle honey sauce for dipping.