A moist and delicious ham is within reach when you prepare it in The Big Easy® Oil-less Turkey Fryer. Sauce it with just a hint of bourbon, honey and molasses to have your family raving!
A suggestion for sauce for this Fresh Ham is a soft touch of bourbon, honey, molasses to taste. Our whole family raved at how moist & delicious it was. It was a good experience to work with a piece of solid meat this size in The Big Easy. It did it's job to perfection once again.
- 14-pound fresh uncured ham
- brine for ham
- glaze for final 15 - 20 minutes of cooking
- Starting with a 14-pound fresh ham it's recommended that you remove the skin but leave as much fat on it as I could - which amounted to very little but enough, I think, to keep it basted during the cooking and mostly to create a tasty crust.
- Brine in basic brine for about 24 hours, remove, rinse and pat dry.
- You may add a mustard and rub combo, like you might use for a pork shoulder or to suit your tastes, but for this long of a cook it might be best to limit the rub and surface material as it will mostly just cook to carbon crust.
- Using the Easy Out Shelf, place the ham into the cooking basket so it rests on the shelf one level above the bottom of the basket.
- Place in The Big Easy and turn on.
- Estimate about 10 - 12 minutes per pound for planning purposes BUT do monitor the internal temperature with a reliable meat thermometer until the temperature reaches approximately 150°F.
- Remove the ham and cover with foil and a towel, placing in an insulated carrier and allow to rest and finish cooking (about 30 minutes) to an internal temperature of 165°F as recommended by the USDA.
- Suggestion for sauce is a soft touch of bourbon, honey, molasses to taste. Our whole family raved at how moist & delicious it was. It was a good experience to work with a piece of solid meat this size in The Big Easy. It did it's job to perfection once again.