Another one of CB’s classics, sure to please and easy as a breeze.
I don’t always want (or have the time) to smoke something – so I use a smoke box on my grill when I want a ‘hint’ of that wonderful smoky taste with each bite. For this recipe I added a combination of cherry and apple wood chips to the smoke box I rigged up for my grill and it added a wonderful taste to each bite.
- 1 (2-3 lb) turkey breast
- Your favorite brine for poultry
- Your favorite dry rub for poultry
- Recommended: Brine the turkey breast overnight in the refrigerator.
- Rinse turkey breast in tepid water and dry with towels
- Prepare dry rub you prefer apply to all sides of turkey breast - if you can work it between the skin and the flesh the flavors will penetrate into the meat rather than just make for tasty skin!
- Place turkey in large bowl to rest at normal room temperature for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat grill to HIGH and make sure the grates are CLEAN.
- Apply light coating of cooking spray on bone side (bottom) of turkey breast
- Depending upon how the flame units are spaced in your grill reduce heat on 50% or 60% of your grill to MEDIUM leaving the other half or 40% of grill on HIGH
- Place turkey breast bone-side down on the MEDIUM section
- Reduce heat on that cooking side to LOW and allow the turkey breast to receive indirect heat from the HIGH heat section - cooking approximately 35 to 40 minutes to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- If you have flare ups on the low heat section of your grill, turn off heat on that section and adjust the other unused section a bit higher to compensate. You may wish to use a drip pan under the turkey breast, depending upon how your grill is set up and how easy it is to clean, etc. The indirect heat will roast the chicken to a beautiful brown.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, use a pastry brush or mop to lightly coat the tops of the chicken with your favorite sauce - after turning. Continue to turn about every 2 minutes and lightly coat the top with sauce. This will form a wonderful glaze on the chicken and at low heat should not burn.
Factoid: Most larger cuts of meat will continue to cook for up to 10 minutes after removing from the grill - due to retained internal temperature. While cooking keep an eye on the thermometer and when it approaches the desired internal temperature - you may wish to remove the meat from the grill, place on a platter or cutting board and tent with aluminum foil where it will continue to cook.