Brussels sprouts are one of those veggies you either love or hate. Some of us developed a dislike for them as children but have found that they are pretty tasty morsels now that we are adults. Paired with the sweet flavor of grilled leeks and topped with hot bacon dressing, they transform into a side dish that everyone enjoys. I love both leeks and Brussels sprouts.
Wash fresh Brussels sprouts, dry and cut the larger ones in half for even cooking time. Cut leeks in half and wash well to remove any dirt or sand.
Drizzle both the Brussels sprouts and leeks with olive oil and season with salt. Place the Brussels sprouts over a medium low burner. Grill the Brussels sprouts for 25 minutes, stirring often. Then add the leeks over a medium hot burner. I used the Char-Broil® TRU-Infrared™ 4 burner gas grill for this dish. Works great and I have plenty of room for other items.
When the leeks take on nice grill marks, wrap them in foil and let them steam until tender.
On the side burner, brown eight pieces of bacon. Set the bacon aside, add one tablespoon of butter to the skillet and sauté green and red onions in the bacon dripping and butter until tender. Add flour to the skillet and cook one minute.
Then add the remaining bacon dressing ingredients and heat until thick and bubbly.
Cut the tender grilled leeks into bite-sized pieces, toss with the grilled Brussels sprouts and top with the hot bacon dressing.
Sprinkle with the reserved crisp bacon and serve warm off the grill or at room temperature.
The addition of bacon dressing sends the flavor of this side dish over the top. I’m pretty sure hot bacon dressing would make anything taste good.
Grilled Brussels sprouts and leeks get happy in a warm bacon dressing.
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 leeks
- Olive oil and salt
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup minced onions (green and red)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut leeks and the larger Brussels sprouts in half. Wash well.
- Drizzle Brussels sprouts and leeks with olive oil and season with salt.
- Grill Brussels sprouts over medium low heat 45 minutes with the lid closed, stirring often.
- Add leeks to the grill over medium heat.
- Grill leeks 10 minutes or until they show good grill marks.
- Wrap leeks in foil and steam until tender.
- Make the dressing on the side burner while sprouts and leeks grill.
- Brown bacon in a skillet, remove and reserve for garnish.
- Add butter to the bacon drippings in skillet.
- Saute onions in butter and bacon drippings until tender.
- Add flour, and cook and stir one minute
- Add the water, vinegar and sugar. Stir until thick and bubbly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reserve.
- Cut the leeks into 1-2 inch pieces, toss with the grilled sprouts.
- Drizzle with hot bacon dressing and top with crumbled crisp bacon.
The hot bacon dressing is great on grilled potato wedges, too.