Grilling the potatoes adds a wonderful, smoky flavor.
While salad is something that most people think of as a cold side dish, true grillers know those cold-salad folks are missing out on some real treats. Here’s a new twist on a classic potato salad recipe. Chris Marcum, author of the Chris Loves Julia food blog, tells us how it’s done. “Besides the dressing and some basics, this salad has two ingredients: baby new potatoes and a red onion,” says Chris. “Simple is the way I like it.” Chris serves the salad warm like a classic German potato salad.
Give potato salad that great smoky flavor by grilling the potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 sprigs of fresh dill, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 pounds baby new potatoes
- 1/2 medium red onion
- Salt, pepper and canola oil
- Mix together the mustard, mayonnaise, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, white wine vinegar and dill. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and cut each into bite-sized pieces. Boil in salted water for 10 minutes. While those are boiling, heat up the grill (with your grill skillet, if you have one).
- Remove the potatoes from the boiling water and drain in a colander.
- Once dry and cooled slightly, put the potatoes in a bowl or plastic bag with 2 tablespoons canola oil, a couple pinches of salt and pepper. Mix together gently to coat the potatoes evenly.
- Add the potatoes to your grill skillet. If you don't have one, just be careful the potatoes don't fall through the grate. Grill for 15-20 minutes, tossing or flipping the potatoes every five minutes or so, until they start to develop brown spots.
- While potatoes are cooking, chop the red onion and put it in a glass bowl.
- After the potatoes are done cooking, add them directly to the bowl with your onions and toss together. Set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dressing (only enough to coat the potatoes) and serve warm.