This is an easy appetizer to throw together and the filling options are endless. I pick a dense bread. This one is an olive oil loaf from my local bakery. Dense breads hold their shape best while soaking in the bacon and butter goodness. Homemade breads would be great to use, too.
I cut the bread in a diamond pattern, not cutting all of the way through. Leave at least one half of an inch at the base of the loaf uncut.
Insert slices of Pepper Jack cheese into the slits.
Add as much mozzarella as you can into the slits, too. This is where you can get creative. Add your favorite cheeses.
Fry six slices of bacon or more to taste until crisp.
Add butter, minced garlic and scallions to the bacon drippings. Cook until the garlic and scallions are tender.
Spoon the scallions, garlic, butter and bacon drippings into the bread slits. Spread any remaining over the top of the bread.
Add the bread to the grill using indirect heat. I used the Char-Broil® TRU-Infrared™ Commercial 4-burner grill for this cook. I lit the outer burners and placed the bread in the center on the unlit burners.
Loosely cover the bread with foil for the first 20 minutes until it’s heated through. Then remove the foil and let the bread crisp up for about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with the reserved crisp bacon and a few minced scallions. Serve warm while the cheese is nice and gooey!
The combination of Pepper Jack, mozzarella, bacon and minced scallions, not to mention the hot bread, makes this a pretty irresistible snack.
Pick your favorite cheeses, veggies and meats – the fillings are endless on this pull bread.
Thanks for looking.
Dense bread holds up well to the drizzle of butter and bacon drippings. The fillings are endless - use your favorite cheeses.
- One 8-inch round loaf of dense bread (use your favorite)
- 8 ounces of Pepper Jack cheese, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, minced (reserve one for garnish)
- Slice the bread into a diamond pattern, not cutting all the way through (cut to within 1/2 inch of the bottom of the loaf).
- Insert Pepper Jack and mozzarella cheeses into slits in bread.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet. Crumble and reserve about a half a strip for garnish.
- Add the butter to the bacon drippings.
- Saute the minced garlic and scallions in the bacon drippings and butter until tender.
- Spoon the scallions, garlic, butter and bacon drippings into the bread slits.
- Pour any remaining butter/bacon drippings over the top of the loaf.
- Heat the two side burners on the grill to medium high, leaving the middle two off for indirect grilling.
- Place the bread in the center of the grill on the unlit burners.
- Loosely cover the bread with foil and bake 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Uncover the bread and continue heating until the top crisps a bit.
- Top the loaf with the reserved minced scallions and crumbled bacon. Serve while warm.