Stuffed mushrooms are an classic party favorite. Grilling them adds a new, flavorful twist. Start by choosing large mushroom caps that will easily sit on the grill grates. If you can’t find them, use a portable grill pan to keep smaller caps level and upright.
This recipe calls for using sweet Italian sausage but feel free to substitute your favorite flavor. Just be sure to remove the casings so the sausage will be evenly browned and crumbled. Using stuffing mix is an easy binder for the rest of the ingredients. And since it’s already seasoned, there’s no need to add additional salt and pepper.
From grill to plates in less than 45 minutes, these tasty treats are the perfect appetizer or side for your next cookout. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds large button mushrooms
- 20 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 box stuffing mix
- ? cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- cooking spray or olive oil for grilling
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and wipe any dirt off the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté sausage until browned and crumbled.
- Remove the sausage from the pan, reserving grease.
- Prepare the stuffing mix according to package directions.
- Over medium heat, sauté the onion and green pepper until it is soft.
- Combine the sausage, stuffing mix, onions, peppers, Sriracha and mozzarella cheese in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Stuff mushroom caps generously with the sausage mixture.
- Preheat grill to medium. When at temp, coat grates with cooking spray or oil
- Place mushrooms, stuffing side up, on the grill for about 5 minutes with the lid shut.
- Turn the mushrooms a half turn and continue grilling 5 more minutes, reducing the heat if the mushrooms are getting too brown on the bottom.
- Remove with tongs and serve.