Let’s make the ultimate steak sandwich. Once you’ve added the egg, you’ve taken it to the moon
There is no doubt in my mind that everyone knows how to make the BEST steak sandwich, but I am going to tell you how to make the ULTIMATE steak sandwich and it’s not what you think. First off, when you are eating a sandwich you ideally want it to stay together and cooperate with each and every bite. You don’t want to tug at it, and you don’t want it to fall apart.
A steak sandwich should maintain its regal status in the sandwich world without having to do too much to get there. It is steak, after all, and this is where I’ll let you in on a secret: minute steaks. A minute steak is that super thin sliced steak you find in your meat department or, even better, from your butcher. The kicker here is then you ask your butcher to tenderize it for you. A butcher has this little machine that makes the steak look like it has tire treads on it – and that’s a good thing.
This tenderized piece of meat is going to cook fast, stay tender and flavorful and, most importantly, it’s going to be easy to bite through. You could cook up a big ol’ piece of steak, cut it on the bias and load it into your sandwich. But a couple of bites later those perfect pieces of steak are going to slip out and land on your lap. Not so with the minute steak – it’s whole, it’s ready and it wants to be a sandwich. It wants to be the ultimate steak sandwich. Let’s get started. You can dress up your sandwich any way you want. These are just a few examples.
Tenderized minute steaks with all the toppings - spicy mayonnaise, guacamole, grilled veggies and a fried egg - makes the Ultimate Steak Sandwich.
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large Haas avocado
- Juice from half a lime
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 zucchini, cut into thin strips
- 6 Ultimate Minute Steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ciabatta rolls
- Chipotle mayo
- Grilled veggies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 eggs
- Slice up the chipotle pepper and mix it with the mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed. Scoop out the avocado from both halves and put in a bowl or a Molcajete and mash it up. Add the lime juice.
- Smash and chop the garlic and add it to the avocado.
- Slice the jalapeño pepper in half. Slice off the stem. Remove the seeds and pith from inside the jalapeño. Finely dice the jalapeño and add it to the guacamole. Taste and season for salt and pepper.
- Slice up the peppers and the onion and toss them on the grill for a couple of minutes just to char them up and heat them up a bit. Remove from grill and set aside on a plate.
- Put your zucchini on the grill for a minute. Because they are so thin they will cook incredibly fast. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Pat your Ultimate Minute Steaks dry. Salt and pepper both sides of the steaks and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Put the steaks on the hottest part of the grill. Cook for two minutes each side, cooking them more or less according your taste. Remove the Ultimate Minute Steaks from the grill and let them rest.
- Have all of the preparations in front of you.
- Spread your choice of dressing, either the guacamole, chipotle pepper, sriracha or all three on your ciabatta roll
- Add peppers and onions, grilled zucchini or both.
- Place one Ultimate Minute Steak on top of your veggies. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the eggs. Add one perfectly fried egg. Top with the other half of your roll.
You can mix and match what spreads you want and what veggies you want, knowing anything you do will only add to The Ultimate Steak Sandwich. Go crazy and add two eggs.