One of the things I like about tailgating is that it gives you an excuse to get a little crazy with your menu. You have the freedom to do something that might normally raise an eyebrow or two like these Stuffed Fritos. They are one of our most popular items we serve at our tailgates.
The initial reaction is usually something like, “What? Stuffed Fritos?!?” But that’s quickly followed by, “Give me a couple more of those!”
The original version uses beef and taco seasoning but we switched things up this time and used brats and ground pork to jazz up the flavors a bit.
TIP: You want to dump out the whole bag and pick out the biggest, most well formed corn chips for this.
The amount of stuffing will vary per chip, but when it is all said and done, you want it to look like a little football.
Quarter sheet pans are excellent tools for the grill and work perfectly with this recipe.
Set up your Char-Broil® grill for indirect heat and set one side to medium-high heat (500°F) and the other to low heat.
When the meat stuffing begins to “sweat” like pictured below, you have about 5 to 10 minutes until they are done, perfect time to throw the burgers on.
Always temp check your food with a quality fast digital thermometer. Since these have ground sausage in them, I like to cook them to 170 degrees instead of just 165.
A quick shopping tip: These go great with the Pigskin Burgers not only because they are perfect Game Day food, but they also share the same core ingredients, which cuts down a little on your shopping list.
These are great for dipping or you can go fancy and top with a puff of guacamole or Mexican crema. Amaze your friends and surprise your fellow fans – whip up a batch or two of these Stuffed Fritos for your next Game Day party!
Stuffed Fritos Scoops are a fun and unusual game-day appetizer.
- 4 ounces all-pork bratwurst, removed from casing and crumbled
- 4 ounces ground pork
- 1/3 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro or green onion
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning, divided
- 18-24 Fritos SCOOPS corn chips
- Set up your Char-Broil® grill for indirect heat and set one side to medium-high heat (500°F) and the other to low heat.
- Mix together the brat, pork, cheese, picante sauce, cilantro/green onion and 1/2 teaspoon of taco seasoning.
- Fill each SCOOP with about 1 teaspoon of the meat mixture.
- Place stuffed Fritos on a tray and season the tops with the remaining ½-teaspoon of taco seasoning.
- Place the tray on the raised grill rack. Close the lid and cook indirectly until the meat filling reaches an internal temperature of 170°F, about 15-18 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm with additional picante sauce, sour cream, or other toppings.