This island-style skirt steak is easy to make and sure to put a smile on your face. A little rum and some ginger beer or ale add just enough kick to make you feel like you’re on island time. So, fire up your grill (this was grilled on Char-Broil’s 2-burner TRU Infrared Gourmet). There were no flare ups and the meat did not need to be moved around on the grill because of the excellent even heat provided.
First, combine all of your ingredients in marinade.
Next, place the steak on the grill.
Grill to desired temperature.
Grill the scallions.
Serve with sides of your choice. Shown here with red rice, black beans, avocado, grilled scallions and grilled pineapple.
This island-style skirt steak is easy to make and sure to put a smile on your face. A little rum and some ginger beer or ale add just enough kick to make you feel like you're on island time.
- 2 to 2 ½ pound skirt steak
- ¼ cup Dark Rum (Myers or Gosling’s works best)
- ½ cup Ginger Beer or Ginger Ale
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-cracked pepper
- 1 bunch scallions (trim tops, cut ends off and rinse)
- Mix all liquids and spices together in a large mixing bowl.
- Put flank steak and scallions in large Ziploc bags and add marinade.
- Marinate and refrigerate (3-6 hours is best).
- Remove steak and scallions from Ziploc. Bring to room temp.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Oil grill grate and cross mark steak on both sides.
- Grill until desired temp is reached. Rare to medium rare is best with this cut.
- Remove steak from grill. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Quickly grill scallions (just to add some color) – (about 5 minutes).
- Slice thinly against the grain.
!Serving suggestion Serve with grilled pineapple wedges, red rice (white rice and stewed tomatoes), black beans, and sliced avocado.