Southern foods have become all the rage recently, and why not? They’re delicious. Why not try something new and add a little southern flavor to your typical grill recipes. For instance, the hamburger. With a little coleslaw, smoked cheddar, barbecue sauce and French’s French Fried Onions, it’s transformed into a Smoky Mountain Burger. Just give it a try; we know y’all will be hankering for more.
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 6 1/4-inch thick slices of smoked Cheddar cheese
- Prepared coleslaw
- Barbecue sauce
- French’s French Fried Onions
- 6 kaiser rolls
- Combine ground beef chuck, salt, pepper and steak sauce.
- Using two forks, mix meat mixture until well combined.
- Divide meat mixture into 6 patties, making an indentation in the middle of each to allow even grilling.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Grill the burger patties for 4 minutes.
- Flip burgers and grill an additional 3 minutes.
- Place cheese slices on top of burgers and close lid briefly to melt cheese. Remove burgers from grill.
- Split kaiser rolls and grill until lightly toasted.
- Spread barbecue sauce on the bottom bun.
- Top with the burger, a healthy dollop of coleslaw, French fried onions and the top of the bun.
This recipe created for Char-Broil by Catherine Mayhew of SouthinMy Mouth.com