A skirt steak has much more marbling than a flank steak, which also makes it juicier and more flavorful. No matter how you choose to cook it, it should be marinated first, especially if you are using a dry heat cooking method such as grilling.
The skirt steak is also known as: Outside Skirt Steak, Inside Skirt Steak and Philadelphia Steak and is a delicious cut of meat. Here, we show you how to make a dish called, “Sobrebarriga a La Brasa” (Colombian-style Skirt Steak). First, it’s braised and then grilled just before serving to add a little “crunch.”
Once the meat has been simmered and cooled it only needs to go on a hot grill for a minute or so to add the necessary char and crispness but if you like it more charred then leave it on as long as you like.
- 6 ounces beer
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup water or broth
- 2 lbs skirt steaks, very lean, trimmed
- In a large pot, combine everything but the steak and bring to a boil.
- Add the meat, lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer till very soft and tender--about 1 and 1/2 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat.
- Pre-heat the grill to sear (about 500F).
- Remove the meat from the pot and dry it off.
- Place it on the grill and sear each side - just long enough to give the outside a crispy texture.
The meat can be cooked on the stove in advance as long as it is brought to room temperature before being grilled.