Every year we tune into the big game on a wintery Sunday. Some watch the game; more watch the commercials. It’s practically a national holiday. And while we eat turkey on Thanksgiving and ham on Christmas, the thing we eat most on the big game day? Avocados. According to the Smithsonian Magazine, last year Americans ate an estimated 79 million pounds of avocados the day of the big game. That’s a lot of bowls of green glop. Delicious green glop, but glop none the less. How about we shake up the traditional avocado recipe and grill those little green orbs of awesomeness? And after we grill them, why not stuff them with grilled shrimp, bacon and cheese?
3 avocados, sliced in half lengthwise and pit removed
6 shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 slices of bacon, browned and crumbled
6 ounces shredded cheese
Pro Tip – If the day before the game, your avocados are not ripe, place them in a paper bag overnight to speed up the process.
This recipe doesn’t take long to make, so before preparing anything, go outside and get the grill ready. Set it to hot, clean the grill grates and close the lid to make sure it’s about the heat level of lava when you go back outside. I used the Char-Broil Grill2Go TRU infrared to make these.
After slicing the avocados lengthwise and removing the pits, dust the cut surfaces with your favorite BBQ rub.
Set those aside and hit the shrimp with the rub as well.
First grill the shrimp. Just get some grill marks on them and make sure they have firmed up. It will only take a couple of minutes.
Pull them off the grill and slice into chunks and then put the avocados on the grill, flat side down.
It takes about 6-10 minutes to get a good char on them with as much moisture as they hold, depending on the heat of the grill. Riper avocados take less time to get good grill marks.
Once you see grill marks, flip them over and add some shrimp into the pocket of the avocado vacated by the pit.
Next sprinkle on the shredded cheese.
Add the bacon and close the lid to melt the cheese. After 2-3 minutes, they should look like this.
Then remove them from the heat and plate.
Hand everyone a spoon and tell them to dig in! Here’s what they look like when you’re done.
Grilled avocado halves stuffed with grilled shrimp, cheese and bacon.
- 3 avocados
- BBQ rub
- 6 shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 slices of bacon, browned and crumbled
- 6 ounces shredded cheese
- Prepare the grill for high heat grilling.
- Half the avocados and remove the pits.
- Dust the avocados with the BBQ rub.
- Dust the shrimp with the BBQ rub and place on the grill.
- Grill the shrimp on both sides for 3-4 minutes each.
- Remove from the grill and slice into chunks.
- Place the avocados on the grill, flat side down, for 6-10 minutes or until you get good grill marks.
- Flip the avocados over and place chunks of shrimp in the cavity vacated by the pit.
- Cover with cheese and sprinkle with bacon.
- Close the lid and allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove from the grill and serve with a spoon.