David Olson
"A Bachelor And His Grill"

David is the host of A Bachelor & His Grill blog, which is a mix of delicious grub, original recipes and a travel log for my worldly adventuring.

David Olson's posts

Grilled & Shredded Jerk Chicken Sandwich with Pineapple-Kiwi Salsa

Fragrant, smoky and blazing hot – Grilled and Shredded Jerk Chicken with Pineapple-Kiwi Salsa is one of my favorite outdoor-inspired recipes. Although most people associate jerk chicken with the Caribbean, its influences are traced back hundreds of years to west Africa, where people applied techniques to sauce and pork preparation. But, Jerk Chicken unofficially belonged Read More »

Garlic and Rosemary-Butter Grilled Brie

The long-renowned “Queen of French Cheeses,” Brie, is creamy in texture, soft to the touch, mild in flavor and encased in its own velvety, edible bloomy rind. For centuries, this cow’s milk cheese was found only in the most luxurious of kitchens, aged for 4-6 weeks, then prepared to perfection inside a steady wood-burning oven. Read More »

Smoked Leg of Lamb Roulade with Apple-Cranberry Sourdough Stuffing

This prime-grade leg of Colorado Lamb has been brined in seasonal spices, butterflied and thoroughly trimmed, lined with a finely cured prosciutto, filled with a tart apple-cranberry sourdough stuffing, then rolled, tied and slowly smoked to tender, medium-rare perfection. Paired with a gorgeous full-bodied red wine and a winter white kale and arugula salad with Read More »

Herb-Encrusted and Smoked Cornish Hen

The American Rock Hen, otherwise known as “Game Hen” or “Cornish Hen,” is an exotic domestic bird, originally crossbred in the far northeast farmlands of Connecticut during the mid-1950’s. These fine feathered fowl are often mistaken as “wild game” or young chickens, but are a distinct farm-raised breed and unique for three reasons – 1. Read More »

Peppercorn-Encrusted and Smoked Heritage Turkey

Simplistic in preparation. Elementary in execution. Perfection on the plate. This peppercorn-encrusted and smoked heritage turkey is among my favorite main courses to serve for a crowd. And, furthermore, what all Pit Masters know to be true – turkey is best served to guests on any special occasion, not just Thanksgiving! See below for 5 Read More »

Grilled Haute Dog Bar

According to the National Hotdog and Sausage Council (yes, there is truly a National Hotdog and Sausage Council), from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 818 hotdogs are consumed every second in the United States of America. Yes. 818. Every. Second! Do the math. That’s one collective nation of hotdog-loving Americans feverously devouring 6.8555 billion hotdogs Read More »

Summer Salad with Bacon Wrapped Peaches

As summer, backyard barbeque and scantily clad swimsuit season simultaneously charge into full swing, we are forced to consider the grand paradox and confounding reality of this season – The unquenchable urge to consume mouthwatering bite upon soul-satisfying bite of slowly smoked bourbon barbeque-slathered baby back ribs, seared blue cheese-stuffed olive tapenade burgers, caramelized apple-ginger Read More »

Hardwood Smoked Beer Can Chicken

Kick-off grilling season with the legendary winged-beast of summer’s backyard barbeque. The one. The only. For now and ever. Beer Can Chicken (a/k/a. Beer Butt Chicken, Beer in the Rear Chicken, Chicken on the Throne, Drunken Chicken, Dancing Bird, Wobbly Bird, and the list continues…). As the story is told, the legend of beer can Read More »

Catfish Sandwich Recipe for the Char-Broil Gas2Coal Grill

Inspired by Char-Broil’s ultra-brand new, innovative 3-Burner Gas2Coal combination grill– I share one of my very favorite lakeside barbeque recipes – This gas and coal combo grill is perfect for preparing the perfect Blackened Catfish with Garlic-Honey Aioli & Al Fresco Purple Kale-slaw. Beautiful, tender filets of freshly caught catfish are liberally seasoned with a Read More »

Baseball Grilling Recipes – Smoky Chicken Sliders with White BBQ Sauce

Is this barbecue heaven? It’s certainly somewhere close. This grilling recipe is inspired by the passing of winter, the anticipation of warmer spring weather ahead, and two of my favorite historical icons, Bob Gibson – and Bob Gibson. One Bob was a physically imposing, statistical strike-out legend and World Series Champion for the St. Louis Read More »