What is better than a backyard barbecue, burgers, brews, and a pile of crispy bacon to top everything off? From burgers, dogs, and even sides, bacon is the ultimate barbecue side dish – the bonus ingredient that puts everything over the top. Sprinkle a little over your deviled eggs, wrap a freshly smoked sausage in pork flavored wrapper, and most of all, nubble on the stray bits here and there to really gear up your appetite for grilling.
With bacon as the theme, we elevated the classic potato salad – removing the mayo and lightening things up for the upcoming outdoor fiestas. By grilling the potatoes and keeping the dressing light, this potato salad knocks the classic heavy version of the park and makes potato salad feel like a healthy alternative without sacrificing any flavor.
- 8 oz bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped
- 2 lbs small red potatoes or yellow potatoes
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup good quality maple syrup
- 1/2 green pepper, stemmed seeded and diced
- ½ red onion, halved and diced
- 1 small handful fresh parsley, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- Par-cook the potatoes for 3 minutes in a large pot of boiling water. Strain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, preheat your Gas2Coal hybrid grill for medium high heat and prep grates.
- When cool enough to safely handle, slice the potatoes in half. Place them in a large bowl and splash with ¼ cup olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat.
- With tongs, carefully arrange the potatoes over the Gas2Coal grill, cut side down and grill 4 to 5 minutes to get a great grill mark, flip and finish off another 3 minutes until potatoes are all grilled and tender.
- Remove from grill and place in a large, clean bowl.
- Whisk the Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and maple syrup with the remaining ½ cup olive oil. Toss the Dijon vinaigrette over the potatoes with the green pepper, red onion, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lastly, fold in the cooked bacon, sprinkling a hefty portion on top to lure in anyone eyeing up this new twist on potato salad.
Need more bacon inspiration for your grill?
Classic Bacon Wrapped Filets: https://www.charbroil.com/community/classic-bacon-wrapped-filet-mignon/
Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers: http://girlcarnivore.com/bacon-wrapped-chorizo-stuffed-jalapeno-poppers/
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Shrimp Kabobs: https://www.charbroil.com/community/bacon-wrapped-grilled-shrimp-kabobs/
Bacon Wrapped Beer Brats:
Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Smoked Brats: http://passthesushi.com/cheese-stuffed-bacon-wrapped-smoked-brats/