Asparagus is healthy, delicious and most of all, versatile. The edible shoots of asparagus can be fried, boiled, baked, sauteed, roasted or steamed. But the best way to cook asparagus is on the grill. With just a few simple ingredients, you can grill asparagus that will leave you more than happy to finish your veggies.
How to Grill Asparagus
First, you’ll need to gather your ingredients. The most important one is, of course, the asparagus. While thin asparagus is often preferred for other forms of cooking, when it comes to grilling — the thicker the better. Thicker stalks are more tender and retain more moisture so they won’t dry out on the grill as easily.
Get one pound of asparagus and trim off the dry ends (usually about where the rubber band is). Then thoroughly wash and dry the asparagus.
To complete this recipe (which serves 2-4 comfortably, you’ll also need:
- Four tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- One lemon or lemon juice
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
2. Place your asparagus in a mixing bowl along with the olive oil and a dash of lemon juice and generously coat all sides of the asparagus.
3. Remove the asparagus and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
4. Grill your asparagus horizontal to your grill lines for 5-6 minutes. Once every minute, use a pair of tongs to rotate each spear 1/4 turn. Allow the asparagus to brown but not char.
5. Remove from grill and serve immediately.
Asparagus is sometimes grilled in a lot of sauces, cheeses and butters. But the above recipe is one that is simple and healthy while allowing all the natural flavors of the asparagus to come through. It’s one of the best ways to grill asparagus and pairs well with just about any type of meat.
Want to get a little fancier? Try grilled asparagus with hollandaise sauce. Enjoy!
Eating Well: http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/health_blog/5_powerful_health_benefits_of_asparagus_you_probably_didn_t_know