How to Make Smoked a Pork Butt on the Grill:
- Select cut. Choose a 3-5 pound pork butt with a light pink color and marbling throughout. Be sure to select a cut with a nice layer of fat covering the top.
- Prepare the cut. Smear yellow mustard on the meat (you won't taste the mustard once the meat is smoked) and add a smoked pork butt rub for flavor. Wrap meat in plastic wrap and let refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge, unwrap, and place meat (fat cap up) in a disposable metal roasting pan.
- Preheat grill with indirect heat and add wood chips of a sweet flavor, like apple or hickory. Read more about smoking wood flavors.
- Smoke pork. Place pan with pork on grill and close lid. Check wood chips every 30 minutes to see if they are still smoking. If not, add another handful to smoker box or grill grate.
- Check internal temperature using a digital meat thermometer to know when the pork is done. It will be finished cooking when it reaches 200°F.