Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
FOR THE SHALLOTS
- 3 large shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
FOR THE MUSHROOMS
- 10 ounces cremini mushroom caps, wiped clean and sliced 1/4 inch thick
FOR THE GREEN BEANS
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, stem ends trimmed, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, low sodium
Toss shallots with salt, pepper and flour in small bowl. Set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in 12-inch cast iron skillet over the grill on medium-high heat until smoking. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and crisp. This should take about about 5 minutes.
Transfer shallots to baking sheet lined with three layers of paper towels. Carefully wipe out skillet and return to medium high heat.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. This should take about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Wipe out skillet.
Heat butter in skillet over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until edges begin to brown. This should take about 2 minutes.
Stir in garlic and flour. Toss in green beans, thyme and bay leaves.
Add cream and chicken broth. Increase heat to medium-high, cover and cook until beans are partly tender but still crisp at the center. This should take about 3 minutes.
Add mushrooms and continue to cook, uncovered, until green beans are tender and sauce has thickened slightly. This should take about another 4 minutes.
Turn off heat. Remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Transfer to warmed serving dish and sprinkle evenly with fried shallots.
Made This Recipe?
Click the stars to rate it.